Beginning with its first community college partnerships in 1991, ACCENT has continued to offer affordable short-term and semester-length custom study abroad programs designed to meet the unique academic needs of the community college population. Through these efforts, ACCENT has enabled over 8,000 students from over 25 U.S. community colleges to study abroad over the past 25 years.
Building off of this history, ACCENT is proud to support the ACCENT Community College Scholarship program. In partnership with our travel agent, FROSCH Student Travel, ACCENT offers multiple merit and need-based scholarships to students participating on ACCENT-supported community college programs.
ACCENT believes that international education is a critical element in today’s globally interconnected world, and is committed to increasing access to study abroad for students from diverse educational, ethnic, and social backgrounds. Students who are traditionally underrepresented in education abroad are strongly encouraged to apply.
Open Applications & Deadlines
Spring 2018 programs – September 29, 2017
Summer 2018 programs – March 1, 2018
Fall 2018 programs – June 1, 2018
Qualifications & Eligibility
- Currently enrolled community college student in the U.S. (full or part-time); completed a minimum of 12 credits
- Enrolled in an upcoming community college study abroad program with ACCENT and program duration must be three weeks or more
- Creative, energetic, and passionate about the opportunity to study abroad
- Good disciplinary and academic standing with home institution
- 18 years or older at the time of the program start date
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- Scholarship amounts may vary with a maximum award amount of up to $2,000 for short-term programs (three weeks or more) and $3,000 for semester programs. Awards may include a reduction in program fees and/or optional group flight cost, generously sponsored by ACCENT’s group travel partner, FROSCH Student Travel.
- Disbursements will be applied towards total program fees and/or group flight, as applicable. Cash disbursements will not be made under any circumstances.
- Contribute at least two articles related to your experience abroad, one while overseas and one upon return to the U.S. to be shared through ACCENT’s social media networks (ACCENT blogs or ACCENT Insights Newsletter), with the goal of encouraging other community college students to pursue study abroad.
Frequently Asked Questions
- When will announcements be made?
You will typically be notified within a few weeks of the deadline, though this will vary by program. Award announcements will be made as far in advance of the final payment deadline as possible.
- I am a student from a community college that does not currently partner with ACCENT, am I eligible?
Yes! Please contact ACCENT at email@example.com for a list of eligible programs that are open to enrollment for students from other colleges.
- I am having issues with the fillable PDF
Please make sure you are using Adobe Acrobat, available here, when completing the electronic application. Completed electronic PDFs are preferred. However, if you experience technical difficulties with the fillable PDF please download and print the file and complete the application by hand. The application, with supporting documents, can then be scanned and submitted via email or mailed as per the scholarship application instructions.
- Will this award impact my financial aid?
Please check with your financial aid office.
- My recommender prefers to send their reference directly to ACCENT, what should I do?
Recommenders may email this to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ask them to include the subject line STUDENT FIRST NAME_STUDENT LAST NAME_REFERENCE.
- I am an administrator or faculty member at a community college that does not currently partner with ACCENT, are our students eligible?
Your students are eligible if they are interested in enrolling in one of our existing programs. Please contact ACCENT at email@example.com for a list of eligible programs that are open to enrollment for students from other colleges. If you are interested in developing a program for your students, please contact our Program Development team at firstname.lastname@example.org